Leaving Maiden Desmodus

I’ve recently left the staff of Maiden Desmodus and am no longer involved with the game in any way. I’ve also sold my share in The Binary Forge Limited to my former business partner Wade Gustafson and he is now in charge of running the game and any future development.

I was really sad to leave the game, although my working relationship with Wade had become increasingly strained over the last year. It’s difficult to walk away from something completely like that when you’ve put so much into it, but unfortunately that’s the way it has to be.

I’ve enjoyed interacting with all the great players I met on MD and I wish them all the best for the future. I’m sure Wade will continue to develop the game and I wish him every success.

My non-mudding time is quite busy right now so I’m in no hurry to look for another project just yet but as always I have some ideas that I’m thinking about.

In the mean time I really will get to doing those mud reviews I promised!

7 comments on “Leaving Maiden Desmodus

• KaVir  says:

Have you considered shifting your focus to FMud? It’s a nice little client as-is, but if you extended it to incorporate graphical elements like you did the Maiden Desmodus version you could be on to a real winner.

• matt  says:

Yes I haven’t really done anything with FMud in a while so it could use some updating.

My main issue with including more graphical elements is how to make them useful for a wide range of games without requiring too much individual set up or customisation.

• Feaelin  says:

Regarding graphics: Perhaps implement support for MXP would be a step in the right direction?

For me, I’d like to be able to have more server side customization options, such as a way to turn off the buttons, and pare back the window to just the output and input panes. I’m trying to present a “simple as possible” page for the completely uninitiated–less is more in that situation.

Another feature I might find of interest: I’m embedding FMud in our website’s CMS page–it might be cool if I could provide a way for the drupal user automatically login as their character–provided they’re logged into our CMS.

Thanks for the great client.

• matt  says:

@Feaelin
    You can pass name and password parameters to the client in the embedding page, so it should be possible to automatically log people in that way. You could retrieve their password from a database once authenticated through your CMS for example.

MXP is possible, and both the Maiden Desmodus and IRE clients I did support it. However there are several different ways of doing it on the server side which makes true MXP support a bit of a pain on the client. What I might do however is put in limited MXP support and muds can decide for themselves whether to do it the way the client wants or not.

• KaVir  says:

CoffeeMUD has a client called Siplet which offers fairly extensive MXP support. But personally I’m really not a fan of inline graphics, I’d far rather have them displayed OUTSIDE of the main text window.

• matt  says:

Yes I don’t think MXP is a good solution for graphical elements like gauges or windows and I’ve only ever used it for colours and clicky links/context menus.

• Pingback: Maiden Desmodus Ownership Woes | bc-dev.net